It’s nearing the end of blueberry season here in Vancouver, so have been stock piling and freezing for the fall/winter months ahead. I had a few cups of blueberries left over so thought I’d whip up some muffins the other morning.
Blueberry Bran Muffins (adapted from http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/B-Muffins-Allrecipes)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix buttermilk with wheat bran. In another bowl, beat together egg, sugar, oil, banana, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, oat bran, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir buttermilk mixture and egg mixture into flour mixture until flour is just moistened. Stir in berries and walnuts. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until done.